As I was upgrading WordPress from 6.2.2 to 6.3.0, I ran into a spot of trouble. Thankfully, ArgoCD rollback was there to save me.
It’s a minor upgrade…
I use the Bitnami WordPress chart as the template source for Argo to deploy my blog to one of my Kubernetes clusters. Usually, an upgrade is literally 1, 2, 3:
- Get the latest chart version for the WordPress Bitnami chart. I have a Powershell script for that.
- Commit the change to my ops repo.
- Go into ArgoCD and hit
That last one caused some problems. Everything seemed to synchronize, but the WordPress pod stopped at the connect to database section. I tried restarting the pod, but nothing.
Now, the old pod was still running. So, rather than mess with it, I used Argo’s rollback functionality to roll the WordPress application back to it’s previous commit.
I’m not sure. You are able to upgrade WordPress from the admin panel, but, well, that comes at a potential cost: If you upgrade the database as part of the WordPress upgrade, but then you “lose” the pod, well, you lose the application upgrade but not the database upgrade, and you are left in a weird state.
So, first, I took a backup. Then, I started poking around in trying to run an upgrade. That’s when I ran into this error:
Unknown command "FLUSHDB"
I use the WordPress Redis Object Cache to get that little “spring” in my step. It seemed to be failing on the FLUSHDB command. At that point, I was stuck in a state where the application code was upgraded but the database was not. So I restarted the deployment and got back to 6.2.2 for both application code and database.
Disabling the Redis Cache
I tried to disable the Redis plugin, and got the same
FLUSHDB error. As it turns out, the default Bitnami Redis chart disables these commands, but it would seem that the WordPress plugin still wants them.
So, I enabled the commands in my Redis instance (a quick change in the values files) and then disable the Redis Cache plugin. After that, I was able to upgrade to WordPress 6.3 through the UI.
From THERE, I clicked
Sync in ArgoCD, which brought my application pods up to 6.3 to match my database. Then I re-enabled the Redis Plugin.
Some research ahead
I am going to check with the maintainers of the Redis Object Cache plugin. If they are relying on commands that are disabled by default, it most likely caused some issues in my WordPress upgrade.
For now, however, I can sleep under the warm blanket of Argo roll backs!