Category: Home Lab

  • An epic journey…

    I got all the things I needed to diagnose my BananaPi M5 issues. And I took a very long, windy road to a very simple solution. But I learned an awful lot in the process. Reconstructing the BananaPi M5 I got tired of poking around the BananaPi M5, and decided I wanted to start from…

  • Terraform Azure DevOps

    As a continuation of my efforts to use Terraform to manage my Azure Active Directory instance, I moved my Azure DevOps instance to a Terraform project, and cleaned a lot up in the process. New Project, same pattern As I mentioned in my last post, I setup my repository to support multiple Terraform projects. So…

  • Terraform Azure AD

    Over the last week or so, I realized that while I bang the drum of infrastructure as code very loudly, I have not been practicing it at home. I took some steps to reconcile that over the weekend. The Goal I have a fairly meager home presence in Azure. Primarily, I use a free version…

  • Automating Grafana Backups

    After a few data loss events, I took the time to automate my Grafana backups. A bit of instability It has been almost a year since I moved to a MySQL backend for Grafana. In that year, I’ve gotten a corrupted MySQL database twice now, forcing me to restore from a backup. I’m not sure…

  • My Introduction to Kubernetes NetworkPolicy

    The Bitnami Redis Helm chart has thrown me a curve ball over the last week or so, and made me look at Kubernetes NetworkPolicy resources. Redis Chart Woes Bitnami seems to be updating their charts to include default NetworkPolicy resources. While I don’t mind this, a jaunt through their open issues suggests that it has…

  • Environment Woes

    No, this is not a post on global warming. As it turns out, I have been provisioning my Azure DevOps build agents somewhat incorrectly, at least for certain toolsets. Sonar kicks it off It started with this error in my build pipeline: I provision my build agents using the Azure DevOps/GitHub Actions runner images repository,…

  • A Tale of Two Proxies

    I am working on building a set of small reference applications to demonstrate some of the patterns and practices to help modernize cloud applications. In configuring all of this in my home lab, I spent at least 3 hours fighting a problem that turned out to be a configuration issue. Backend-for-Frontend Pattern I will get…

  • Re-configuring Grafana Secrets

    I recently fixed some synchronization issues that had been silently plaguing some of the monitoring applications I had installed, including my Loki/Grafana/Tempo/Mimir stack. Now that the applications are being updated, I ran into an issue with the latest Helm chart’s handling of secrets. Sync Error? After I made the change to fix synchronization of the…

  • Synced, But Not: ArgoCD Differencing Configuration

    Some of the charts in my Loki/Grafana/Tempo/Mimir stack have an odd habit of not updating correctly in ArgoCD. I finally got tired of it and fixed it… I’m just not 100% sure how. Ignoring Differences At some point in the past, I had customized a few of my Application objects with ignoreDifferences settings. It was…

  • Proxy Down!

    A simple package updates seems to have adversely affected the network on my Banana Pi proxy server. I wish this was a post on how I solved it, but, alas, I haven’t solved it. It was a simple upgrade… That statement has been uttered prior to massive outages a time or two. I logged in…