… I put that $h!t on everything! A lot has been made in recent weeks about open source and its effects on all that we do in software. And while we all debate the ethics of Hashicorp’s decision to turn to a “more closed” licensing model and question the subsequent fork of their open source… Continue reading SonarCloud has become my Frank’s Red Hot…
It came as a bit of a shock that I have been running MagicMirror in my home office for almost two years now. I even wrote two modules, one to display Prometheus alerts and one to show Status Page status. In the past few years I have started to become more and more comfortable with… Continue reading Taking my MagicMirror modules to Typescript
I have been running in to some odd issues with ArgoCD not updating some of my charts, despite the Git repository having an updated chart version. As it turns out, my configuration and lack of Chart.lock files seems to have been contributing to this inconsistency. My GitOps Setup I have a few repositories that I… Continue reading Tech Tip – You should probably lock that up…
As I was upgrading WordPress from 6.2.2 to 6.3.0, I ran into a spot of trouble. Thankfully, ArgoCD rollback was there to save me. It’s a minor upgrade… I use the Bitnami WordPress chart as the template source for Argo to deploy my blog to one of my Kubernetes clusters. Usually, an upgrade is literally… Continue reading Rollback saved my blog!
For what seems like a long time now, I have been using RittmanMead’s md_to_conf project to automatically publish documentation from Markdown files into Confluence Cloud. I am on something of a documentation kick, and what started as a quick fix ultimately turned into a new project. It all started with the word “legacy”… In publishing… Continue reading Publishing Markdown to Confluence
I dove back into React over the past few weeks, and was trying to figure out whether to use NPM or Yarn for package management. NPM has always seemed slow, and in the few times I tried Yarn, it seemed much faster. So I thought I would put them through their paces. The Projects I… Continue reading The Battle of the Package Managers
Over the weekend, I started using the react-runtime-config library to configure one of my React apps. While it works great, the last activity on the library was over two years ago, so I decided to fork the repository and publish the library under my own scope. This led me down a very eccentric path and… Continue reading A small open source contribution never hurt anyone
This is the continuation of a short series on transitioning away from the ISY using Home Assistant. Having successfully gotten my new Home Assistant instance running, move in day was upon me. I did not have a set plan, but things were pretty simple. But first, HACS The Home Assistant Community Store (HACS) is a… Continue reading Replacing ISY with Home Assistant – Part 3 – Movin’ In!
This is the continuation of a short series on transitioning away from the ISY using Home Assistant. Getting Started, again As I mentioned in my previous post, my plan is to run my new instance of Home Assistant in parallel with my old instance and transfer functionality in pieces. This should allow me to minimize… Continue reading Replacing ISY with Home Assistant – Part 2 – A New Home
This is the continuation of a short series on transitioning away from the ISY using Home Assistant. The Experiment I mentioned in my previous post that I had ordered some parts to run an experiment with my PowerLinc Modem (PLM). I needed to determine that I could use my existing PLM (an Insteon 2413S, which… Continue reading Replacing ISY with Home Assistant – Part 1a – Transition Planning