In the Home Lab, things were going good. Perhaps a little too good. A bonehead mistake on my part and hardware failure combined to make another ridiculous weekend. I am beginning to think this blog is becoming “Matt messed up again.”
Permissions are a dangerous thing
I wanted to install the Azure DevOps agent on my hypervisor to allow me to automate and schedule provisioning of new machines. That would allow the provisioning to occur overnight and be overall less impactful. And it is always a bonus when things just take care of themselves.
I installed the agent, but it would not start. It was complaining that it need permissions to basically the entire drive where it was installed. Before really researching or thinking to much about it, I set about giving the service group access to the root of the drive.
Now, in retrospect, I could have opened the share on my laptop (
\\machinename\c$), right clicked in the blank area, and chose
Properties from there, which would have got me into the security menu. I did not realize that at the time, and I used the
Set-ACL Powershell command.
What I did not realize that
Set-ACL causes a full replacement, it is not additive. So, while I thought I was adding permissions for a group, what I was really doing was REMOVING EVERYONE ELSE’S PRIVILEDGES from the drive, and replacing it with group access. I realized my error when I simply had no access to the C: drive…
I thought I got it back…
After panicking a bit, I realized that what I had added wasn’t a user, but a group. I was able to get into the Group Policy editor for the server and add the Domain Admins group to that service group, which got my user account access. From there, I started rebuilding permissions on the C drive. Things were looking up.
I was wrong…
Then, I decided it would be a good idea to install Windows updates on the server and reboot. That was a huge mistake. The server got into a boot loop, where it would boot, attempt to do the updates, fail, and reboot, starting the process over again. It got worse…
I stopped the server completely during one of the boot cycles for a hard shutdown/restart. When the server posted again, the post said, well, basically, that the cache module in the server was no longer there, so it shut off access to my logical drives…. All of them.
What does that mean, exactly? Long story short, my HP Gen8 server has a Smart Array that had a 1GB write cache card in it. That card is, as best I can tell, dead. However, there was a 512MB write cache card in my backup server. I tried a swap, and it was not recognized either. So, potentially, the cache port itself is dead. Either way, my drives were gone.
I was pretty much out of options. While my data was pretty much safe and secure on the Synology, all of my VMs were down for the count. My only real option was to see if I could get the server to re-mount the drives without the cache and start rebuilding.
I setup the drives in the same configuration I had previously. I have two 146GB drives and 2 1TB drives, so I paired them up into two RAID1 arrays. I caught a break: the machine recognized the previous drives and I did not lose any data. Now, the C drive was, well, toast: I believe my
Set-ACL snafu just put that windows install out of commission. But all of my VMs were on the D drive.
So I re-installed Hyper V Server 2019 on the server and got to work attempting to import and start VMs. Once I got connected to the Server, I was able to re-import all of my Ubuntu VMs, which are my RKE2 nodes. They started up, and everything was good to go.
There was a catch…
Not everything came back. Specifically, ALL of my Windows VMs would not boot. They imported fine, but when it came time to boot, I got a “File not found” exception. I honestly have no idea why. I even had a backup of my Domain Controller, taken using Active Business Backup on the Synology. I was able to restore it, however, it would not start, throwing the same error.
My shot in the dark is the way the machines were built: I had provisioned the Windows machines manually, while the Ubuntu machines use Packer. I’m wondering if the export/import process that is part of the Packer process may have moved some vital files that I lost because those actions do not occur with a manual provision.
At this point, I’m rebuilding my windows machines (domain controllers and SQL servers). Once that is done, I will spend some time experimenting on a few test machines to make sure my backups are working… I suppose that’s what disaster recovery tests are for.