I recently implemented Cloudflare on my domains to allow me some protection on my domains. There were some unintended side effects, and it seems to have to do with my browser’s DNS.
Internal Site Management
All of my mattgerega.com and mattgerega.org sites are available outside of my network, so putting Cloudflare in front as a WAF was not a problem. However, I have a few sites hosted on mattgerega.net which, through security in the reverse proxy, are not accessible outside of my home network.
My internal DNS has an entry to push the mattgerega.net sites directly to my reverse proxy, and should bypass the WAF. Non-browser traffic, like a simple
curl command, works just fine. However, in the browser, I was getting 403 errors most of the time. Oddly, incognito/private modes sometimes fixed it.
My Browser has a DNS Cache
This is where I learned something new: modern browsers have their own DNS cache. Want to see yours? In Chrome, navigate to
chrome://net-internals/#dns. There is a lookup function as well as an ability to clear the DNS cache.
Using the nslookup in my browser,
mattgerega.net resolved to some Cloudflare IPs. Even though my machine is using my internal DNS, the browser has other ideas.
No Proxy For You!
This was all, well, rather annoying. Because
mattgerega.net was being proxied, the browser DNS seemed to be preferring the Cloudflare DNS over my local one. Perhaps because it is secure, even though I turned off the requirement for secure DNS in the browser.
The solution was to stop proxying
mattgerega.net in Cloudflare. This allowed my local DNS entries to take over, and my access was fixed without me having to open up to other IP addresses.
Now I just have to do better about making the
mattgerega.net sites internal-only.